Spiritual Warrior: Uncovering Spiritual Truths in Psychic Phenomena
|Cover Artist||Greg Golem|
|Followed by||Spiritual Warrior II: Transforming Lust into Love|
Chapter 1: Dreams: A State of Reality
Understanding what occurs in the state of dreaming helps to use that time of sleep to enhance functioning while awake.
The Body, the Astral Body and the Soul
We have two bodies - the physical, and the astral (subtle). But we are neither body; we are the soul, the actual life force within our bodies. The physical and astral/subtal bodies are coverings or costumes 'worn' by the soul in its existence in the material universe. As we pass from one physical body into another through reincarnation, the impressions of previous lives are imprinted on the subtle body and carried into future lives. Often, experiences in dreams are these accumulated impressions on the subtle body, which is more active than the physical body in the dream state.
Four Types of Dreams
There are four main types of dreams:
- occurring as a result of physiological stimulation
- An example of this type of dream would be a train whistle heard when awake that becomes a fire engine in a dream.
- involving dormant subconscious thoughts
- Dreams may indicate preoccupations and degree to which one is affected by environment(s). Because the mind is active when the physical body is asleep, dormant thoughts have an outlet for free expression during sleep.
- concerning predominant thoughts while awake
- An example of this type of dream is that if one is impoverished and hungry, will dream about food and finding food. In Western society, most dreams are focused around the most common concerns of work and sex. Images portrayed in the media also have a significant effect on us. Dreams are often about known people who are close to us or recent past experiences that are still on our minds when we go to sleep.
- involving those that help to work out karma
- Karma involves lessons that are to be experienced in this lifetime. Dreams provide the medium for situations to teach those lessons to occur in the dreaming state instead of the waking state, and for advanced beings to give chastisement, so that lessons can be learned more quickly - since they do not have to be learned in the physical realm - and also leave deeper impressions on the soul through the subtle body.